STATUS: Consultation complete, final design in development. Construction timeline dependent on NSW Government funding. This new cycleway along Moore Park Road will enhance safety along an important regional cycle link between Bondi Junction and the city centre.
The two-way separated facility will link the existing cycleway along the northern edge of Centennial Park (Oxford Street) to the existing shared path on Fitzroy Street and the Bourke Street cycleway in Surry Hills.
The NSW Government and the City of Sydney are investigating the feasibility of a separated cycleway at Fitzroy Street, to be constructed after light rail is complete.
The project will also improve walking in the area and the amenity of the street.
Streetscape improvements include:
- safe crossing points for people walking and riding bikes at intersections
- a bus stop upgrade between Cook and Lang roads
- removal of the slip lane on Lang Road and an extra left turn lane
- a safer path around the Korean War Memorial
- more footpath space for people walking along Moore Park Road during events
- more shrubs and grass
- better street lighting for safety at night.
The Cabbage Tree Palms in the central median will be removed for transplanting elsewhere and 56 Brush Box trees will be planted in the relocated central median. These large canopy trees will create shade and blend in with the existing trees alongside the road.
The development of this project has been funded in partnership with the NSW Government. The delivery of this project is dependent on future NSW funding award.