As part of our driver development program, City of Sydney drivers receive training on responsible behaviour around people on bikes. The training includes:
- Passing safely – leaving at least 1 metre
- Observation – being aware of the blind spots and always being alert for riders, especially when turning
- Exiting the vehicle – using the left hand to open the door (known as the Dutch reach) to encourage drivers to look for people riding before opening.
It’s also important for people on bikes to ride responsibly around larger vehicles. This includes:
- Knowing the blind spots. Watch the video below to learn more about where the blind spots are
- Road positioning – while the responsibility lies with the driver to look before opening their door, riders should still stay wide of the door zone. Taking the lane is also encouraged to increase visibility.